Friday, April 17, 2009

A Fiber Tree Sprouts

A New Career for a New Decade

For my thirtieth birthday, I decided to give myself a career change. I have loved fiber arts since I was a child and I have been actively designing my own knitting patterns for several years. This spring I decided to take a leap of faith, leave my 8-5 job, move with my husband to a new state, and try to make my living as a full-time fiber artist.

Enter Fiber Tree Designs.

The natural world inspires me with its colors and its textures. Texture in particular draws my eye and shapes my knitware designs. Over the next year if all goes well, my nature-inspired patterns will become available both online and in local yarn stores.

Keep a look out for what's next.

Walking Meditations
I am fortunate to have moved to Coralville, IA this spring. To those of us raised on the East Coast, Iowa does not get the credit it deserves for its the gentle beauty of its landscape. However, within a five minute walk of my studio, is a bike path, part of a network of more almost 20 miles of trails that runs from North Liberty through Iowa City. My little corner of green belt runs along the bluffs over Clear Creek and is alive with bird and frog song and carpeted with wild flowers. It offers endless inspiration for the fiber artist and for the soul.

Tree branch lace. So many possibilities.

1 comment:

  1. What a terrific birthday present--beginning a journey to follow your bliss. Best of luck with your new endeavor.

    I'll be curious to see the metamorphosis of "tree branch lace" from the cocoon of a nature-inspired image/idea into a pupae case of fiber to its final emergence as of a design as light and lovely as a butterfly.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete